Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 34: An Apple a Day

There is the old rhyme, "An apple a day keeps the Doctor away." Well, it didn't quite keep the Doctor away, but I do think it helped.

It has taken a full seven, no eight days, but I think I am at about 80% recovered from the flu or whatever that was. Clinics have stopped testing for strains of flu except in extreme cases, but they also say it is too early for the seasonal flu. So, with all my symptoms, the clinic's best guess was flu and treated me for such. Fever, chills, aches and more hung around, but then disappeared in about 3-4 days. Fatigue and weakness with headaches, much longer. But, when I read accounts of others who were out for several weeks or basically crawled around on the floor, my bout seems rather mild. I fully contribute it to the prior month of healthy foods, working out, extra Vitamin D, and packets of emergen-c. My body wanted to recover and was able.

I didn't lose my appetite during the fever, but mostly slept. Once marathon naps wore off, I could eat most anything. I stayed on diet, but without much attention to amounts. If I was hungry between meals, I ate fruit and didn't limit myself. Denise did a great job of keeping the house stocked and taking care of all the errands we share while I was down for the count. I was lucky I only had to focus on recovering. Thanks Denise!

I lost some muscle definition I was developing in my upper body. Dang, I was really loving that striation showing up between front and medial deltoid heads. My mid section, much softer, but I don't think I gained or lost weight much either way. I think much of this was due to the complication of medicines (anti-viral) in my digestive system. Let's just say, bloating. ugh. The big muscle groups in the legs are still tired. I won't start real jump ropes again until tomorrow when lungs and coordination start making a comeback. I did a mini-workout last night without jumprope, but walking and hopping just barely past comfort zone. I probably walked more than in the prior 7 days combined. My push-ups sucked wind, or I should say burned streaks across my chest and arms, but I got a few medium good sets in. Joints totally stiff and I could feel the pain from the inflammation. Knees down on the pushups, and my shoulders hurt. It will take a few days to get the strength back. Most band work was manageable since it can be modified to current capacity. Wow. Headache at the end of what would probably account for about a day 7 workout if I compared. Whew.

I missed a solid three days of work, and worked quarantined for another two. I started showing signs of illness last Sunday and it really took a whole week and both weekends to feel like I could start to approach normal. I did miss working out. Reading the above again, it sounds terrible. Ewww. But, I still think it was lighter than what many have experienced with the flu. I know I am getting better since I am now really wanting to get back on a regular schedule and regular workout. My tendency is to rush and try to catch up with everyone. But, I have to remember this is not a race and to - work my own workout.

So, here's to fruit (still loving on Honey Crisps), building back muscles strength and stamina and keeping the Doctors away. Raising my water bottle and apple in salute!

5 comments:

  1. welcome back! way to hang tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muscle memory is an amazing thing, and you'll be back at it in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, keep it up! You'll be 100% before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey J, you're doing great coming and blogging about it all! Getting it all down on the screen .That's one step to recovery, as I can tell you're keeping positive about it all.

    Better than I would do, when I had a tiny cold I couldn't be bothered to blog once! You'll be all better soon and with more enthusiasm than ever!

    ReplyDelete