Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 21 - Simplify doesn't always mean easier

Most of 2009 has been a year of simplifying. Purge things that were cluttering my focus or encumbering. Rightsizing. This included moving to a smaller space, reducing furniture, knick knacks, even treasured books. Reducing reliance on energy and generally moving towards a more independent and sustainable lifestyle. Yes, a few indulgences were allowed, but purging was strict and sometimes radical. In the end, it only has me feeling like I still have too much in my life. Wow. It seems the more I focus on what is important, the easier it is to see how much extra we carry around. Did I really need twelve pairs of black pants? I really like the three I kept.

This encumbrance has carried over to emotions and physicality. I carry around too many extraneous emotions and too much reliance on prepared food. Many years ago, I read The Simple Living Guide and without direct radical changes, it influenced my thought processes on a path I have continued. Traveling in many other countries validated smaller and quality were better than quantity. By no means do I live an object-less life, but I try and be mindful. The Peak Condition Project is just fitting so well in to this same pattern. Simple workouts without extra machines and simple food to feed our bodies. Things I feel like I have given up and now feel lighter without:
  • processed flours
  • processed sugars
  • salt - still would like this in moderation, like good quality sea salt
  • energy bars
  • snack foods with preserving chemicals
  • heavy oils and more...
Letting go of these things has played a bit of havoc with time, emotions and energy. But I now consistently feel like I have more energy and see subtle changes. I totally chow down and crave fruit. I mean... crave like "would-take-you-out-if-you-get-in-my-way" fresh sweet fruit such as ripe strawberries or crisp apples. The thought of packaged foods is becoming distasteful. I now pick fruit and vegetables carefully and with a much stronger eye on freshness and flavour. Knowing foods may have to stand on their own or be the star of a meal means each item is carefully selected. Selecting each ingredient in a recipe for it's flavour and contribution to health lends a certain clarity I will continue working towards.

The funny part? Simple isn't always easier. This simplicity is freeing, but also requires more focus. Maybe even more work and effort go into each meal, action, or decision, but the results are more satisfying. I spend more time preparing food, or preparing my space or body for working out. I sleep more. I feel like I have less time in my life. (Did I mention I feel a bit stressed for time?! Sleep, cook, work, workout, buy, eat, cook, sleep. All in continuous rotation.) But, I feel more satisfied when I enjoy a particular meal and taste the ingredients. My mind is lasering in on what is important and dropping distractions just as my body is letting go of the toxins that have crowded it for years.

I can slowly feel my body changing, clothes fitting differently, and the gradual return of some muscle outlines I remember. I do my share of complaining about muscle or joint soreness, but the results and simplicity will keep me coming back each day. Simplicity, with effort. Scheduling time and balancing are my Achilles heel. I can already feel many lessons I will take forward with me from this project. Don't let anyone kid you, simple doesn't always mean easier. It takes honest effort to bypass the conveniences our fast cultures throw at us daily. But measuring the rewards keeps it real.


4 comments:

  1. Fantastic post, Jonti!

    I share in your fruit cravings, and honestly think I'll aim for fruit as the snack choice for the rest of my years. The energy payoff is amazing, isn't it?

    (Raising my yogurt cup) cheers to week number four!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have had a tendency to think in the last 50 years that an easier life = a better life. But we're finding now doing pain-in-the-ass things like cooking real food and working up a real sweat are the keys to staying healthy and happy.

    It's so funny if you watch things from the 40's and 50's imagining life in the future where robots take care of everything and the humans just chill. It turns out in 2009 we're trying to reclaim the lifestyle THEY had. Simple food, time for family and friends, and low instance of disease.

    Good post thanks a lot for making us think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great point, Jonti—simpler doesn't always mean less work. I've never really stopped to think about it like that. I have a hard time with the balance as well, but perhaps it's b/c we're still trying to apply the microwave life to our new oven mentalities—stressing the getting it done rather than embracing the doing? Hmmm...you've made me ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right with you about feeling the time crunch. With the PCP daily rotation the way it is, you really have to be Superman (or Superwoman) to get everything accomplished. Luckily for us we're working to be those Super-people!

    ReplyDelete