Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 15 - Wow, that Apple was Sweet?!


I have never really been a fan of Apples. Yeah, they were okay, but often I just didn't get what all the fuss was about. Some were juicy, some fleshy, some crisp, but... hey, it's an apple. It falls on your head, right?

With trying new fruits and veggies in the Peak Condition Project, we remembered we discovered this little Indie of a fruit called "Honey Crisp last year." Come to find out, the goodness I remember from last year is WAY better this year. Good crop? Or my taste buds aligning with all this non-processed yummy? I think the later. Biting in to one of these bad boys today was an explosion. Crisp, tart and very juicy. Nice reward for my mid morning snack. I had easily passed up the morning office kolaches in the office for my fruit. Looking at the box of baked goods brought in, they all seemed heavy, and like they would coat my tongue with some unnamed slathering of oils, and ick. No thanks. It was really rather easy to pass them by. Then, when I got to my morning apple, I realized why. This was what my body was craving for fuel. Love the diet transformation that is happening. I have wanted this for a long time, good to feel it.

Now, if I can get my exercise self to match my diet transformation. All will be grand.

I love working out and feeling my muscles strain and rebuild. I have loved working out most of my life. Yeah, a little sick, but I do love it. But last night...I gave myself an out. I needed a night off. My body was cratering under some of the muscle and joint pressure and mentally, I just wasn't there. Yeah, I feel a tad guilty, but now I am totally itching to get home and face the next week's challenges. Instead, I regrouped, focused on preparing healthy meals for the week and rested my body with some anti-inflammatory support. Mondays are sometimes tough, these may be my most difficult days. I thought it would be Friday evenings. But working out on Friday evening has actually been a relief to focus on the workout and close out the work week behind me with a bit of sweat. Monday. Yeah, Monday's may be my challenge. Knowing that, I can prepare mentally for next Monday.

As always, Bring it!

7 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, I got totally addicted to Honeycrisp apples last year. Can't wait for them to show up in the stores again! So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honeycrisps are my favorite too! Funny that Mondays are your PCP dread-day. They're my favorite since exercise is a light load. This week, I was actually grateful that ALL we had to do was 800 jumps. Oh, the small things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try Honeycrisps. I became a big big fan of Fuji apples for their sweet crunch. And I don't like fruit. Serious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honeycrisps rock! I am a snob when it comes to apples. I will poke, squeeze, and inspect every inch of an apple before I put it in the bag. Fijis. Galas and Brauburns (sp?) are some of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Emily, Mondays are my favourite days as I gladly welcome simple jumps.

    I found it hard to get motivated last night though, especially since I'd had a long day. I'm sure it's normal (and expected) to have down days sometimes though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jump only days are pretty sweet. Still don't loooove the jumprope (will I ever?), but it's fab to be quickly finished with that part of my Mondays.

    Didn't Patrick say this program is 80% diet? Sounds like you're nailing that part. Keep on it, Jonti!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find Mondays always to be a mental challenge day. It's the first day of the work week and trying to get back into the swing of things after the weekend is always difficult.

    At the beginning I use to have trouble with jumps. Sometimes a "day off" is needed for the muscles to heal themselves. Eventually the legs will get stronger and you won't feel any pain from jumping.

    You're doing just fine!

    ReplyDelete