Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 79 - Food Recovery

It has taken a few days, but I think I finally recovered from our last food indulgence. No easy task. When we were told about the final indulgence, one of my first thoughts was... "can I give it back?" I already knew any of my pre-PCP foods would have me feeling sluggish, and it seems my taste buds have even changed and those things don't taste as good anymore. But, in the true spirit, I knew it would be good to play fairly and see really how my body and mind reacted to a full overblown meal of richness.

We chose some doozies. The restaurant was good, serving organic and locally grown foods when possible. We watched Food, Inc. over the holiday and that is a whole other blog post. So, a minimum was making sure the food was local when possible. Here are a few descriptions and picture from the menu.

Appetizer, Pan Boracho = Torn baguette, prosciutto, fresh thyme, garlic and yellow onion soaked in a savory white wine custard with gruyere, mozzarella and grana padano cheeses - all baked until bubbly and gooey. Wow... I am so glad I don't have to clean that dish. The cheese was truly gooey and crusty melted at the edges. We only had a few bites, but it was yum! Ugh.

Entree, Kobe Beef Burger = 8oz. Texas Kobe beef burger with mushrooms, caramelized onions and gruyere, in-house pickled jalapenos, Texas tomato and organic bibb lettuce on a fresh-baked bun, served with famous frites. Yep, that about sayz it. I didn't eat all the bread, but did try for all the burger. I had been craving a bit of beef, but I was surprised the flavour was not as intense as I would have liked.

Dessert, Big Brownie = you knew it was coming. We couldn't finish them, but decided to be fair, we should have a sweet bite at the end. Bad move. I had a brownie with ancho chile in the chocolate and a scoop of Dulce de Leche Gelato.

Included one glass of wine where I would have normally had two or more. I ordered a glass of cabernet I really enjoyed in the past. It tasted different. About half way through the meal, it opened up and I got used to the flavour again. But it still left a little lacking. (Note: Dang it Patrick, What have you and Chen done to my taste buds?)

This was Sunday evening. I woke up Monday with a food hangover and puffy tummy. Not fun. It has taken a full two days or more, but I finally feel like the sluggishness is out of my body. A steady diet of clean non-greasy foods has helped. Even boiled egg whites felt heavy up until this morning (nearly three days later).

Summary: Good local food, still too heavy. Taste buds whacked out, but somewhat recovered by half way through the main meal. Body recovery 2-3 days minimum to lose heavy feeling from too much rich food. Whew.

Admittedly, this would have been a rare indulgence even in the past, but not without precedent. I could have easily ordered this meal when out with friends about once or twice a month. Future meals out will be choosing from the lighter side of the menu.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, we saw Food Inc. when it first came out, and we went to dinner right after. The meal was really hard to stomach.

    Thanks for sharing your indulgence! Funny how much three months can change things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's really interesting is what we all would have put up with following a rich meal prior to the PCP. The bloat, slight headache and/or upset tummy would probably be the usual side effects, and that was just par for the course.

    Now on the other side, clean eating has our motors humming and energy going. Isn't it amazing how much better you feel?

    ReplyDelete