Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 87 - Cold Weather Dehydration

Woke up the last few mornings with my muscles a bit more sore and stiff than normal and very lethargic. I first chalked it up to the last push intense exercises, old man winter and a bit of Emily's Senioritis. But, I think I realized this morning I haven't been getting enough water.

Less fruit in our diets has dropped some of the natural water intake and the cold weather seems to conspire as a trickster. Step outside into the cold and the moisture is immediately pulled from my lungs and throat. Get to the office and the building's heaters dry everything up. Sweat during a workout and the cold drys it quickly not letting me realize how much fluid I am using. Get home and bundle up in warm clothes and stay near the heater. I realize this is a real problem for people in extreme outdoor sports, but a slight case of winter dehydration must have slipped in to the daily routine. The daily deficit I am running is not a big deal, but definitely something I can improve. I drank lots of water when we started the Peak Condition Project, now I have focused on diet and workouts to the extent I was taking water for granted.

Today. Focus on drinking water and tea.

3 comments:

  1. It's true—I think dehydration is worse in the winter than the summer. It's so hot in the summer, you really want to drink water, but it's easy to forget how much indoor heating and whatnot can really dry you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true! I'm going to go make a cup of green tea right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The interesting thing is that with salt gone from your diet you will need far less water than the average American eater.

    ReplyDelete