Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Day 51 - Feats of Normalcy

Many people on the Peak Condition Project will not relate to this post. But, sometimes I like to note the small wins. In the last couple of days, I have closely noticed a few subtle changes in my habits. These aren't huge (still can't do a full set of deep pull-ups without assistance), but remarkable in their normalcy.

In the last week I have:
  • Put on my socks and tied my shoes while standing
  • Consistently raised myself out of a chair or couch while carrying objects
If you have never been overweight, these may not ring true for you. But, let me explain. You know the person that has trouble seeing their shoes? Okay. Now imagine that person trying to stand in one place, raise their knee and double over to tie their shoes while balancing. Yah. Not so easy. Now it is easier for me to bounce around the dressing area getting ready without always needing to find a place to sit. My tummy doesn't get in the way as much and I have better balance and control.

Ever notice your elders struggle to get up or down from a chair? Or maybe even struggle your self after a tough night of lunges? (raises hand) There is a slight wince and you might use one hand to help stabilize the body as you get up or down out of a deep chair or couch. I notice I raise up and down at will, even if I have objects in my arms. Cool. Gone are the lazy, crawl out from under the blanket, push up with both hands from the couch and barely get up moves. Not really. They still have their moments on a cold autumn evening.

It's not much, but just another sign my body is working more like it should and a post to realize the things I should not take for granted.

PCP wins when you live in small tight spaces. Booyah!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great post, Jonti!

    Most folks have different definitions of fItness and wellness, but I believe a large part of it is being able to better tackle the stuff we do every day. What's it worth otherwise?

    If nothing else, PCP has taught me to properly nourish myself with food and that has drastically improved my energy levels. I no longer feel like I need to nap after lunch in the afternoons.

    Here's to the small victories, which when you look at the big picture, are really huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely the subtle changes that make all the difference. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Jonti! It's all worth it when you notice the changes whatever they are. Whether physical or psychological, they're all for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly - I have totally lost that 3pm down in the doldrums napping factor. Wow, it was just every day. Don't miss it all! You got it, every day achievements

    Emily - Love the progression in your images. I wouldn't necessarily call it subtle. You are kickin it!

    Naomi - your right. Lots of small changes both mental and physical are adding up. Love that you are trying new things and keeping it healthy along the way.

    Keep it up Ladies! Ya'll inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo yah indeed - these are feats of AWESOMENESS!! :)

    ReplyDelete