Monday, November 9, 2009

Day 55'ish - Cheese and Wine

This is a bit of recap from my weekend indulgence. It all started so innocently. A trip to one of my old haunts, Central Market. The cheesemonger and I have been acquaintances for nearly 5 years or more. Virginia's face brightens when she sees me... It's been awhile and I feared she may have forgotten me. Instead she quickly comments that I am looking great!? eep.
Instead of the normal four or twelve artisanal cheeses, I carefully choose three. Montenebro, a creamy goat from Spain. Capri, a blue ash covered goat and a aged Grand Cru Pecorino from Italy. Yeah... this is getting good. Not to be outdone, I also snagged a few slices of Serano ham from the deli. A nice ciabatta bread and an Italian red wine. Done! The evening is set.

After settling in at home, we created our indulgence plates. I added a bit of fig spread to balance and we were off! Flavours? Hellz yes. I thought my eyes would roll back in my head. Okay, they sorta did, but I recovered. But, wow the darn ham was salty? Yikes. I don't remember that. Cheese and bread was unbelievable. I loved it. The wine didn't seem to have the same finish as pre-PCP, but it was still worth it. However, by the time I finished my plate, I was very full. Even though my stomach was full of rich foods, I swear I could hear my body screaming for more fats and carbs as an instant craving. I didn't get any more cheese, but I did sneak one more slice of bread with just a sprinkle of olive oil, salt and pepper as a final bite and another half glass of wine. My tummy and palate were sated.

Ummm. What happened next I am not all that clear about. I had picked up a copy a new magazine "Cheese Connoisseur" and was settled in to read some of the articles including creameries in Vermont and the making of Comte' from France. Then, sleep hit. And, I mean the crawl towards the bed and put a blanket over me while I drool sleep. I was near comatose until morning. Talk about an early evening. A bit of cheese and wine and I was out! Craved water in the morning and felt sluggish all the following day. My legs seriously felt like I had ankle weights on during jumps. It took a good 3-4 hours after waking up to feel like a normal person with some kind of personality. Before that, guttural vowel sounds were my main form of communication.

I loved the indulgence, flavors were great and near explosive. Salt was a problem, and I felt it the next day. Even my ring finger was swollen. Wine, I think was okay, but it sure cut short the evening. I can't see me giving up cheese forever, but I think I can work in a future indulgence now and again. Hopefully Virginia and Central Market will survive with my limited visits.


4 comments:

  1. Perfect! That's exactly what people need to understand. These amazing, rich foods are best eaten as one off treats, because they do take their toll. Every single person around you is consuming that much salt as part of every regular meal. And they wonder why they feel so crappy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the imagery! I could taste the cheese. Good to know there's still room for small indulgences in the future.

    P.S. You're looking really fit in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I would totally choose goat cheese as an indulgence. And yeah, serrano ham has always been that salty! I would love to try some artisanal goat cheese. Hope you've recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds pretty grand! May need to borrow this idea for our final indulgence. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete